Wednesday, August 31, 2005

hurricane

My last living (we'll see) grandpa lives in the hurricane area. My mom has been trying to get a hold of him, but as expected all the phone circuits are busy. I dont think he's a Christian, so he's not ready to die. I havent seen much coverage as our TV doesnt have an antenna, so this whole thing seems totally unreal to me. I dont have many memories of him, I think the only conversation I ever had with him was when I was 13, he was asking if I had any boyfriends yet, as though more than one was a good thing. Anyway, he came and stayed with us for 6 months or so in Canada, he fed the calves with us, and then went to his room to watch the Golden Girls and drink whiskey or some sort of hard alcohol. He, like my mom, and her mom, loved animals, but seems like he especially liked chickens, maybe bc they're easier to take care of. He and my gramma got divorced years ago, he went back to where he came from so we never saw him but for the one visit.

http://dancingwithkatrina.blogspot.com/

I found this link shortly after I posted. It has ppl looking desperately for their missing family members via comments, also ppl inquiring after the state of various locations. I watched some videos here . This is such a humbling and grieving catastrophe.


Psa 46:1-11
[[To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.]] God [is] our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; [Though] the waters thereof roar [and] be troubled, [though] the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. [There is] a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy [place] of the tabernacles of the most High. God [is] in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, [and that] right early. The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted. The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.
Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.

6 comments:

Cheryl Hannah said...

Tams, the following may explain why it is difficult to reach your granddad...

Utility slowly being restored

Friday, 6:40 p.m.

More than 250,000 homes and businesses have had electric power restored since Hurricane Katrina struck southeast Louisiana on Monday, Public Service Commissioner Jimmy Field said Friday.

But an estimated 731,000 homes still lack power, and it likely will be several weeks or months before power is fully restored. Field said utility companies have restored power to about 50 percent of the homes and businesses they can access, with the rest being too flooded for power companies to begin work.

The news isn't quite as good for those who have lost telephone service, Field said, as 939,000 lines remain out of service four days after Katrina. The reason it's taking longer to reconnect telephones is because several phone companies have suffered severe flooding to their main offices, Field said.

Jody said...

Thanks for the links Tam, very intresting. Oh, and I like the music, I think that's still my favorite Coldplay song..ahhh.

Manda said...

Joshy was on my lap when I checked your blog last night and saw the Coldplay video. He is now obsessed. "I see the car go bacverds, momma. The guy goes back to his house. I need WATCH it! Find meese-kit (music), Momma."

Anonymous said...

Awwhh Tammy honey, your Grandpawas just teasing you and giving you a compliment at the same time, meaning you were pretty enough for boys to notice you....as far as the drinking I only remember Grandpa drinking once with the neighbor...I did tell him that your dad and I did not think it a sin to have a drink and that he need not worry about having one if he wanted....I remember Grandpa giving you girls and your younger cousins candy every day from out of his shirt pocket, he stopped smoking and spent the money on candy for you all....last year when I visited Grandpa there was no sign of him drinking anything but milk and coffee...Grandpa also was eager to take the sermon CDs that Joshua P. gave to me for him..and honey Grandpa told me that he prays for us all the time, so I really don't know if I could say that Grandpa does not have a relationship with the Lord, for he never used the Lord's name in vain as he did when I was a child, I know he continues to read his bible every day, anyway, if he is still alive, John and I will do our best to bring him up to Canada. Remember the Lord treats us all with mercy and grace, none of us match His holiness, and some believers remain more like children in their understanding and behavior.
love ya,
XXXXXXX
OOOOOOO
~mom~

Anonymous said...

Tammy, your granddad answered his phone today....he wanted me to thank all you girls for praying for him...he said it was amazing how the storm's wind to not hurt his trailer house other than the one window. He is thinking about moving up here..


love ya

~mom~

tammy said...

Well, Im amazed, and thankful.